PRODUCT INFORMATION FOR MANAGEMENT
Surgeons rely on an array of MRI and CT scans during a procedure. But they can't navigate those images because the keyboard and mouse that control them aren't sterile.
To get around this, the surgeon is forced to scrub out, consult the imaging, and then leave the operating room to scrub back in. This process can take up to 10 minutes: Precious time when a patient is anesthetized, and expensive at an OR time cost of $62 per minute. Another option is to wait for a non-sterile circulating nurse or other ancillary staff to become available to control the imaging.
However, this can take approximately the same amount of time, as the nurse doesn't know the case or the anatomy the way the surgeon does. A sterile cover or towel over the mouse is also done at times, but a growing number of hospitals are prohibiting this practice due to an increased risk of site infection.
The GestSure system allows surgeons to access their imaging quickly and precisely through simple hand gestures.
✓ Allows for fast, reliable access to information at the point of care.
✓ Eliminates the need to bridge the sterile field and risk surgical site infection.
✓ Reduces surgery time and cost ($420-620 per scrub-out).
✓ Easily integrates into OR environment with no special software or drivers.
THE GESTSURE SYSTEM:
- Allows surgeons to navigate patient information and images during surgery. This is an improvement over performing the procedure from memory or wasting OR time by bridging the sterile field.
- Improves case throughput: A 16 month study determined that an average reduction in operative time of 17 minutes (~10%) per surgery routinely allowed 3 instead of 2 major laparoscopic surgical cases per day3. These procedures had a baseline average operating time of 179 minutes.
- If the system saves just two scrub-outs or nurse checks per day, the hospital will save more than $340,000 in OR time per year.
- Improves surgeon's access to information: A study published in the Canadian Journal of Surgery shows that surgeons that have the GestSure System check imaging more frequently4.
- Reduces the likelihood of surgical site infections: surgeons are no longer tempted to bridge the sterile divide with risky methods like using a sterile towel over the mouse and keyboard.
- Requires no software integration, comes in three standard configurations: cart, boom, or wall mount, and surgeons typically achieve fluency in less than 10 minutes.
- Includes one-year warranty, which covers hardware and software issues, and includes software updates.
- Usability Range: 2.5ft to 13ft (0.8m to 4m)
- User Viewing angle of camera: 57.5°
- Power supply: 120V AC power
- Connection to OR computer: USB (Standard A, 1.0/2.0/3.0)
- Software and drivers: None needed (Plug-and-play)
- HIPAA compliance: N/A (No access to user data)
(1) Shippert M. A Study of Time-Dependent Operating Room Fees and How to Save $100,000 by Using Time-Saving Products. Am J Cosmet Surg. 2005;22(1):25-34. .
(2) Grätzel C, Fong T, et al. A non-contact mouse for surgeon-computer interaction. Technol Health Care. 2004;12:245-257 .