PRODUCT INFORMATION FOR BIO-MEDS
Surgeons rely on an array of MRI and CT scans during a procedure. But they can't navigate those images because the keyboard and mouse that control them aren't sterile.
To get around this, the surgeon is forced to scrub out, consult the imaging, and then leave the operating room to scrub back in. This process can take up to 10 minutes: Precious time when a patient is anesthetized, and expensive at an OR time cost of $62 per minute. Another option is to wait for a non-sterile circulating nurse or other ancillary staff to become available to control the imaging.
However, this can take approximately the same amount of time, as the nurse doesn't know the case or the anatomy the way the surgeon does. A sterile cover or towel over the mouse is also done at times, but a growing number of hospitals are prohibiting this practice due to an increased risk of site infection.
The GestSure system allows surgeons to access their imaging quickly and precisely through simple hand gestures.
✓ Allows for fast, reliable access to information at the point of care.
✓ Eliminates the need to bridge the sterile field and risk surgical site infection.
✓ Reduces surgery time and cost ($420-620 per scrub-out).
✓ Easily integrates into OR environment with no special software or drivers.
- Allows full 3D motion capture through an RGB camera and depth sensor. The system uses a 830nm NIR Class 1 laser (<25 microwatts). Class 1 lasers are safe under all conditions of normal use.
- Assembled in accordance to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is registered as an FDA Class 1 device.
- Acts as a simple input device for the OR computer with a single USB connection. The system does not require any drivers or software installation, and is compatible with all medical image viewing programs.
- Does not require data or network connection.
- No patient information is accessible by the GestSure Device, because it works as a one-way system. Therefore HIPAA (information privacy) requirements are not applicable.
- Surgeons typically achieve fluency in less than 10 minutes.
- Used in surgeries in Toronto for over 3 years and currently installed at a number of U.S. and Canadian hospitals.
- Does not need to be on an emergency power circuit or need a
- UPS, because a loss of power to the system would not cause harm.
- System comes in three standard configurations: cart, boom or wall mount. These can be selected based on your OR’s mobility and space requirement needs.
- Includes a one-year warranty, which covers hardware and software issues, and includes software updates.
- Can always fall back to mouse and keyboard control if needed.
- Usability Range: 2.5ft to 13ft (0.8m to 4m)
- User Viewing angle of camera: 57.5°
- Power supply: 120V AC power
- Connection to OR computer: USB (Standard A, 1.0/2.0/3.0)
- Software and drivers: None needed (Plug-and-play)
- HIPAA compliance: N/A (No access to user data)
(1) Shippert M. A Study of Time-Dependent Operating Room Fees and How to Save $100,000 by Using Time-Saving Products. Am J Cosmet Surg. 2005;22(1):25-34. .
(2) Grätzel C, Fong T, et al. A non-contact mouse for surgeon-computer interaction. Technol Health Care. 2004;12:245-257 .